The Anderson Allyn Room, located on the lower level of the Chardon Library, maintains an extensive collection of Geauga County genealogy and local history resources. It is open during library hours and staffed 24 hours per week by a genealogist. Reference staff members are available at other times. Call the Reference Department at the Chardon Library for the genealogist’s schedule.
Anderson Allyn Room (Genealogy and Local History)
110 East Park St. Chardon, Ohio 44024
Cheryl McClellan, genealogist email@example.com
Birth and Death Records
Birth and Death Records: (1867-1908) book index, records on microfilm. No official birth or death records exist before 1867.
For Geauga County births or deaths after Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Geauga County Board of Health, Vital Statistics:
Geauga County Health District
Attn: Vital Statistics
470 Center St. Bldg. #8
Chardon, Ohio 44024
People born in any county in Ohio can obtain a certified copy of their own birth records at the Geauga County Health Department.
Marriage Licenses: (1825-1919) book index, records on microfilm
Marriage Records: (1806-1919) book index, records on microfilm. For marriage records after 1919, contact the Geauga County Probate Court (440-279-1830).
Geauga County Cemetery Records
Burials for each township arranged alphabetically by surname and by lot/section; updated in 2011/2012. Does not include Western Reserve Memorial Gardens in Chester Twp. or All Souls Cemetery in Chardon Township, which must be contacted separately. See below.
Federal Census: (1820 – 1930), Geauga County only. Early years include a few
other counties. Indexes are in books. Records are on microfilm (also available online through Ancestry Library Version or through Family Search).
1890 Soldiers and Sailors Pensions, Geauga County: print version of a special federal census enumeration with index.
(1912, 1937, 1960—1999) covering Chardon and Geauga County; not all years
Family Group Sheets
Fifty-seven binders of approximately 30,000 Geauga County families; alphabetical by surname. This is our most important collection. Please consider contributing copies of your Geauga County family group sheets to the Anderson Allyn Room.
File drawers of folders containing donated genealogical information on Geauga County families, arranged alphabetically by surname.
History Pertaining to Geauga County - Books
- Pioneer History of Geauga County, Ohio, 1880. Google Books has this book with no index.
- Geauga County History, 1953
- History of Lake and Geauga Counties, Ohio, 1878
- Geauga County:Ohio, A Pictorial History, 1989 by James J. Anderson and Jeannette Grosvenor
- Raccoon Brigade: Soldiers of the Revolutionary War Buried in Geauga County, Ohio, 1990 by Jeannette Grosvenor
- Women in the Western Reserve Before 1840/1850 (on microfilm with book index)
- Women in Geauga County Before 1840/1850 (print-out of Geauga County townships from original WWRB,1840, above, with re-creation of the three missing townships and addition of index)
- Histories of several Geauga County townships (see GCPL catalog under township name)
- Family Histories (see GCPL catalog under family surname)
History Pertaining to Geauga County
Archival Boxes with newspaper clippings and other historical materials
- Geauga County Townships, files arranged by topic
- Geauga County Schools by township
- Oral History Transcripts; Kent State University (interviews of Geauga County Senior Citizens 1976 – 1989)
- Examples of other topics include: History of Chardon Library; Interurban Railroads; Maple Festival; Underground Railroad
Geauga County was formed from Trumbull County March 1, 1806. Lake County was formed from Geauga County on April 6, 1840. For a link to U.S. county maps and boundary changes, go to Atlas of Historical County Boundaries at Chicago’s Newberry Library.
- 1857 Wall Map (hanging on a wall in Chardon Library, Reference)
- 1874 Atlas is in “History of Geauga/Lake Counties, Ohio” 1878
- “1900 Atlas of Geauga County”
- Indexes to atlases and maps (1820 and 1830; 1857; 1874; 1900)
For copies of plat maps go to Geauga County Recorder’s Office:
Courthouse Annex 231 Main Street, Suite 1-C Chardon, Ohio 44024
- 300 Microfilms of Geauga County Newspapers (1833 – 1992): some years missing
- The News-Herald (on microfilm or CD from Nov. 9, 1992 – present)
- The Maple Leaf (hard copies for 1993– current)
Chardon High School yearbooks
Geauga County Public Library also houses a collection of Chardon High School yearbooks.
*GCPL is in the process of converting cemetery and other genealogical records from Excel spreadsheets to web pages. These links will be updated as the content is made available. Thanks for your patience as we work on this extensive project.